Friday, June 22, 2012

How to Have a SkinniMini Vacation

Summer time is here and you know what that means all inclusive resorts, cruises, and lots food and fruity alcoholic beverages. Just because you are on vacation does not mean your fitness and nutrition stays at home. I don't know how many times I have heard, "I went on vacation and gained 8 lbs." We'll hell yeah, because your ass went on vacation without a plan and you forgot to pack fitness and nutrition. Duh!! For my birthday I set off for a self vacation to Punta Cana Dominican Republic. I stayed at the Punta Cana Princes, an all-inclusive resort. This was my first time at an all-inclusive resort. I must say it is the way to travel. Prior to leaving, everyone kept asking me the same questions over and over, “Are you going to workout, are you going to drink, are you going to indulge and eat food?" My answer to all three questions, a big fat YES! Here are a few Skinni rules that I always follow while on vacation.

Rule 1- Take your own snacks for the ride. This will keep you from stopping at convenience stores or vending machines for packaged foods, or having only plane-selected snacks. Trail mix, homemade granola, popcorn, pretzels, chopped raw vegetables, hummus and apples, plums and pears make great travel snacks. I packed an apple and raw mixed nuts.

Rule 2- Find a supermarket or farmer’s market as soon as you reach your destination. Pick up some fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, pretzels and popcorn that can serve as snacks or a breakfast alternative during your stay. There was one in walking distance from my resort. It was my back-up plan if the resort food sucked, but it was yummy.

Rule 3- Fill up on healthy foods at the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet, especially if you are staying at a resort. Focus on getting plenty of fresh fruits, salads and greens, and whole grains such as oatmeal. At breakfast I added a few apples and bananas to my beach bag for mid-morning snack on the beach. I’ve already paid for it…why not.

Rule 4- Limit the alcoholic beverages, especially if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort. Just because it is all-inclusive does not mean you have to go ham. Remember alcohol has a lot of empty calories that can add weight to your belly area. My limit was 2 drinks per day, one early afternoon and one with dinner OR one with breakfast and one with dinner.

Rule 5- If you want to venture from the resort, seek out local restaurants that use local products. The less distance your food has traveled, the more nutrients it typically retains. Restaurants that pride themselves on local products often provide healthy options, such as meals focused on the use of local fruits and vegetables. These foods are usually prepared in a way that maintains their natural flavor, not covered in high-calorie, fatty sauces and toppings. My resort food was delicious and well prepared, so kept it “Casabe.”

Rule 6- Select fatty fish such as salmon, grilled meats, fresh salads, broth-based soups and wraps or sandwiches without sauces as your entrees, instead of deep-fried foods and entrees with heavy cream sauces. Enjoy the food the area is known for, such as grilled fishes from the sea or fruit desserts in a tropical destination. My favorite at Punta Cana Princess was the sautéed pumpkin with peppers and onions. Yum!

Rule 7- To splurge or not to splurge. What ever you do, choose your splurges wisely.  Consider your favorite things and enjoy them, but pass on the things you can easily get at home that add extra calories. For example, you can have a roll with any meal at home, but that gourmet tiramisu or the local rum can be harder to come by. For dinner, I chose chocolate moose cake, made with fresh chocolate from the island, instead of a dinner roll.

The best Skinni Rule of them all...sit back and enjoy your SkinniMini vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment